Tuesday, March 22, 2011

We're Back On-Line, I think

Just to get everyone caught up.  I'll try to do this quickly.  I was in Denver until September 29.  I was able to have my aunt and uncle's wills finished and signed before I left.  My aunt and I completed their funeral arrangements and she added me to their bank accounts.  Now I was able to go home with a heavy heart but knowing that things were in place to ease their minds and to have their wishes respected.  We made arrangements to have a service come into the home eight hours each day to help with cooking, cleaning and doctor visits.

Denny had come to Colorado to help me the last week and the two of us headed home to pick up our rig so that we could fulfill our committment to Pedernales Falls SP in Johnson City, TX.  We were excited to begin our second year volunteering at the park.  We were scheduled for three months from October to February.

We were adding knew experiences to our resume.  We were working in the bird blind in November and Hosting in January.  As it turned out, the person cleaning the restrooms left early and we stepped in to complete her committment and worked the weekend afternoons on the weekend.  This gave the "real" birders a break and us a chance to learn more about birding and the birds of Texas hill country. 

I enjoyed the chance to learn about the birds and thouroughly enjoyed my time at the bird blinds.  Pedernales Falls SP has two bird blinds that sit back to back.  Each blind has it's own unique features.  I can now tell the difference between a Ruby Crowned Kinglet and an Orange Crowned Warbler.  We had a beautiful Golden Fronted Woodpecker and I got to see my first Eastern Bluebird.  Sadly, the sparrows elude me.  I really have trouble distinguishing between them.

Denny bought me a beautiful pair of binoculars for Christmas.  Thank you Sweetheart, I promise to continue to put them to good use.

I kept in touch with my aunt and uncle by phone and the internet.  I was surprised to hear my uncle passed away October 16.  I couldn't be with my aunt at this time.  I talked to her daily and my nephew visited weekly.  The gal from the service we had hired became a dear friend and the neighbors helped too.  But, on January 14 I got a call from my nephew.  My aunt was in the hospital for the third time since I had left and he said, "Aunt Char, I can't do this anymore."  I spoke to the emergency room doctor and hospital social worker and got reservations to fly out to Denver on January 16. 

My aunt's health had deteriated to the point that hospice became involved before I took her home from the hospital on January 19.   We spent our time together talking about her death, talking about the family and getting her finances in order.  I was given medical and general powers of attorney in September so I was able to make decisions for her. 

Aunt JoAnn took her last breath at 10:23 pm February 3.  I held her hand the last 2 1/2 hours.  I sang songs to her that she had sung to me as a child.  I talked to her about the family that had gone before her and about her precious pet cairn terrier who was waiting to sit in her lap when she passed.  It was a special time for me and I hope I was able to make it a bit easier for her.

My sisters, Diana and LuAnn flew to Denver to help me go through the house and make decisions.  We worked so well together and we all agreed what to do without one problem.  We visited an attorney, got my uncle's will filed as well and hired a realtor to sell the house.

My aunt was a heavy smoker so we needed to do some work to make the house sellable.  Painting, changing all the flooring, new dishwasher, adding a water line to the ice dispenser on the refrigerator and changing all the light fixtures on the first floor.  The house had an offer after six days on the market.  We are waiting for the results of an inspection to be completed on Thursday.  We expect no problems on a ten year old home so I believe my aunt is watching over us.

During the remodeling Denny and I had to stay in a motel.  Three weeks is more than I hope to stay in any motel, even one as nice as the one we were in.  Oh, I forgot to tell you that Denny had left our rig in Texas.  After he completed our committment at the park he went to our son's home in Gatesville, TX.  He planned to stay there for a few weeks but woke up one morning during the cold spell and had no heat.  The ignitor had gone out in the rig.  He winterized the rig and took it to a RV Repair place we know in Marble Falls, TX.

We left the motel, rented a u-haul and filled it with things my sisters and I wanted to keep.  We headed to Iowa to drop my sister's things off at LuAnn's and then on home to Bloomington.  We stayed a week, got a short "grandkids fix" and we are now in McAllister, OK, on our way to Gatesville, TX to pick up our hitch so we can get our home back.  We are both excited about being able to sleep in our own bed again after way... too... long....

Lots more adventures come so I hope you stay with us and keep checking in with us along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment