Friday, April 15, 2011

Rally, Seminars, Fun and Sightseeing

We spent Wednesday relaxing and visiting friends.  You can’t ask for more than that.  I am beginning to feel more relaxed and know that the ordeals of the past nine months are ending.

Denny and I got to spend some time with the Tom and Marci and their wonderful boys.  We met them at the first RV-Dreams Rally in Branson, MO.  Their dream of full-timing with their boys has not been fulfilled yet but the house is on the market and they are ready to go.  The boys began, on-line, home schooling this year.  They have a Newmar toy-hauler and have put a lot bed in the toy hauler room for Nick and Bryce gets the loft bed in the main living area.   

I got my macaroni and cheese ready for the pot luck on Thursday and we made plans to go through the Great Smokey Mountain National Park and drive a bit of the Blue Ridge Parkway. 

What a beautiful day we had.  We drove Hwy 441 through the park to Newfound Gap.  It was sure chilly there compared to the campground.  We walked around a bit and enjoyed the views.

2010-2011 TX and TN 0922010-2011 TX and TN 100

Then we continued on to the new Oconaluftee Visitor Center.  They have a replica of a mountain farm and a nice museum.  I took pictures of the quilts on display.  

2010-2011 TX and TN 102

I found it so interesting that some of the fabrics in the blocks were also patchwork.

2010-2011 TX and TN 101

There is some construction on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but it didn’t deter us.  Everything is getting so green and the wildflowers are gorgeous in the park. 

2010-2011 TX and TN 1212010-2011 TX and TN 127

I’m sorry I don’t know what they are but I really enjoyed them.  The larger flowers were along the road and I was only able to enjoy them from the truck as there was no way to get the picture I would have liked.

The hills along the parkway were browner than those in the park.  Maybe the elevation has something to do with that.  But it was still beautiful. 

We left the Parkway to go through Cherokee and head back in time to back my macaroni and cheese for the potluck. 

Cherokee is on the Indian Reservation and has a casino and trout fishing in the Oconaluftee River.  They also had bear statues all around town.  I love it when communities do this.  They are generally used as fund raisers and the artists conceptions painted on the statues are always so interesting.  Here are the few I got pictures of.

2010-2011 TX and TN 1032010-2011 TX and TN 105

We stopped along the river to fix a sandwich for lunch and enjoyed the quiet.

2010-2011 TX and TN 108

Driving along the Gatlinburg bypass we stopped to take a picture of the town from above.

2010-2011 TX and TN 116

The pot luck was great as usual.  So many dishes to choose from but I don’t think there was a lot left for the last couple of tables to go through the line. 

Can’t wait for tomorrow’s adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment